Shoe Boxes and Bird Feeder
Each year my church participates in Operation Christmas Child. This program sends shoe boxes of toys, school supplies, and other gifts to children around the world as an expression of the spirit of Christmas and the truth of the Gospel. Monday morning I took our boxes to the local collection point at Calvary in the Ozarks where an enthusiastic crew unloaded them for me. I filled out the paperwork. A friend who coordinates the pick-up told me about her plans to go to Peru soon to do Vacation Bible School during their summer. Talk about reaching out to the world from our little corner North of the Tunnel!
Back in October my mom got a bird feeder as a birthday present. My sister dropped by a week or so later and asked if she had decided where to put it. With that motivation, Margo and I undertook the project. It took us a few weeks as we gathered all the things we would need.
I found a length of old pipe out behind a shed that was threaded on one end. We discussed its merits and short comings and decided it would do. Then I measured it and paid a visit to the hardware store. I found pieces that would work and carried them home. I took the tee fitting out to check that it would work, and it just slipped over the pipe with room to spare. I had measured the outside of the pipe rather than the inside diameter. So back I went. This time I found even better fittings. Soon I had all the parts assembled. When my sister came last Saturday we got out the tools and worked away until we finished the job. We were proud of ourselves, and the birds seem to like it too.
What adventures are you having this November?



No comments:
Post a Comment