Inside a Snowy Record
There is a picture in a local history book of a locomotive up to its cowcatcher in snow. It dates from the late 1800’s. My imagination has always been sparked by that picture; I wonder what it would have been like to be IN it. Well, now I know. We are in the midst of a record setting snow storm. The old one day Arkansas record was set back in 1918. Once it is officially validated, the new one will be 23 inches! This on top of 6 inches and more we had last week – almost all melted away before our record breaker this week.
I am sitting at my computer watching the snow continue to filter down. Earlier I went out to refill the bird feeders and sank nearly up to my knees, way over my boot tops, in snow. I measured 9 and ½ inches out by one feeder, 12 on top of the car hood, and my ruler went down below the snow level at least an inch or 2. I will measure again once it stops snowing.
This snowy February has provided a lot of photo opportunities. I have pictures of deer checking for dropped seed under a feeder, the woods dressed in white, and icicles nearly to the ground. I got some grand pictures this morning of snowcapped objects in the yard. But the best picture of the storm has to be this one from my nephew’s trail camera near Lowell. What kind of canine do you think it is?


No comments:
Post a Comment