Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It’s All Fun and Games … in the Rogers Library Playspace

Rogers Public Library is one of my regular stops. It continues to astound me how busy the Library is. Not only are there many people using the Library for study and reading, there are lots and lots of programs for library fans of all ages. One particularly exciting one (in book terms anyway) is a “Conversation” with best selling author Carol Higgins Clark scheduled for October 9th. She will also do a Creative Writing Master Class for a select group of High School students and teachers the day before.

The Library has a vibrant children’s program. Thanks to KaBOOM, an organization that helps volunteers build playspaces for children, the small park across from the Library building now has a great play and activity space for their use – and for the rest of us as well.

I’ve enjoyed the park for some time. Recently there was some earth work underway that moved the lone picnic table into the middle of the park and I didn’t stop for several weeks. Then last Monday I drove by and saw delivery trucks, pavilions, other workplace amenities, and supplies appear on the spot. My curiosity was aroused. Thursday morning I drove by again (another trip to the drop box provided an excellent excuse). The street was reduced to one lane. People were busy all over the place. Excitement was as evident as the work underway. I did a little research on the project to improve the park, and that evening I went back to see the results of the day’s work. A lot had happened in a day!

Later I found that the new additions – play equipment, a stage, plenty of seating, lots of picnic tables – came from suggestions from kids! Who better to ask what to put there than the children the park is designed to please? What a good idea, and what a good addition to the Library and the city park system.

Have you seen good ideas in action lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment