Tuesday, May 18, 2010

All the Little Beasties

Coming home a few nights ago I saw a pair of deer grazing in my driveway. I didn't want to startle them so I took this picture from inside my car with my camera's zoom feature. While it isn't very sharp, this was too good a shot to miss.



When I was a child, we never saw deer around Rogers. I recall clearly the first small herd I saw in the valley to the east of my house. I was out walking and there they were browsing in the creek bottom. In the 30 or so years since that first herd their numbers have grown to the point that they have become a bit of a nuisance. Gardeners find many flowering plants are like candy to them and motorists have to share the road with very unstreetworthy critters.

As I came home that evening, I stopped before I reached my gate and saw the deer to take a picture of my neighbor's cat. This fine beastie acts as though it owns all it surveys … including the high ground of the top of the trash can.



There are lots of other animals in our neighborhood both wild and domestic. As well as pets, I have several bird feeders that attract squirrels and raccoons in addition to lots of birds. I know several of my neighbors do the same. What kinds of critters do you see around your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment