Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting Crafty



I realized as I passed a billboard on the way home last night that I had failed to add one very large event to the calendar yesterday: this is Spring Craft Fair weekend! There are plenty of places to choose from and you don’t have to limit yourself to one: Spanker Creek Farm Arts & Crafts Festival, War Eagle Mill Craft & Culinary Fair, The Frisco Station Mall Arts & Crafts Show, the Sharp's Show of War Eagle and the Ozarks Regional Arts and Crafts Show. Click here for a schedule of events.


While all the shows this weekend will offer excellent entertainment, the premier event has been for many years the War Eagle Mill show. With its scenic setting and reputation for excellence, there are few better draws for artists and visitors that this Ozark tradition. For a few days a year in the spring and again in the fall, people flock to this peaceful valley to enjoy paintings, hand-made furniture, pottery, and many more attractive things. There is also the draw of food be it kettle corn or a plate of beans and cornbread or something more exotic. The rest of the time, fishermen, canoe enthusiasts, and other sportsmen are more likely to visit, although the historic War Eagle Mill and its café are open much of the year.


I’ve spent my share of time at both the craft fairs at War Eagle and fishing or just playing in the river. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment