Good Sense and the Environment
I've been an ecologist since I was a child learning woods-craft from my father. But I do my best to be a common sense one. I try to balance the varied demands of nature and society in the positions I take. For example, I think recycling is a low investment way to help us and “the environment.”
A friend of mine turns up her nose at recycling. She is both disenchanted and disgusted with the extremist environmental movement with its hysterical calls to action. She has a point. Much of what passes as environmentalism is uncritical acceptance of pseudoscience, propaganda, and a strident naturalistic philosophy. Nonetheless, I think there are good reasons to take part in many of the currently popular ways to “save” the environment.
Anyone out there like heavy metals in their drinking water? I didn't think so. Well, one of the ways these contaminants get in our water supply is when we put old electronics in the land fill. There are lots of popular programs out there to help recycle these broken or obsolete items. So be good to yourself and the environment and recycle them, even if these programs are lauded by the environmental propagandists.
Here are a few places to drop off those old computers, cell phones, TV's, printer ink tanks or toner cartridges, and even your old CD's or DVD. They should be easy to use and might even earn you a gift card from the sponsoring merchant. Check in your local store for where to drop of your recyclables:
Best Buy
Office Depot
Radio Shack
Staples
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment