I didn't leave Fayetteville until almost 6:30 yesterday evening. I'd stopped to take a few pictures after work. The late afternoon had a fine haze making distant buildings soft edged. From the top of Dickson Street, Old Main on the University campus was a distant, blue bulk of towers dreaming on the edge of the world. Closer to hand, the spire of Central United Methodist Church was sharply white against a blue sky. I took a picture of it through the flowering branches of a tree at the edge of our parking lot. Even such a mundane object as our dumpster was given a hint of grace by a flowering japonica bush.
Dickson Street was busy. People were gathering for mid-week services at the churches on this end of it. Many area churches are adding extra, Holy Week services as they prepare to celebrate the most joyous of Christian holidays, Easter. For a directory of area churches and faith groups, check this site: NWA Faith, Brought to you by The Morning News.
Farther down the street the sidewalks were filled with people enjoying the ambiance of fun and food in the entertainment district. The patios and outdoor seating areas at various restaurants were filling up. Small knots of people stopped to talk. Others had stopped to indulge in that old fashion sport of people watching. A crowd was gathering for the opening performance of South Pacific at the Walton Art Center. (Tickets may still be available.) Further up the street I turned to go around the University. I saw dog walkers, joggers, and students practicing a routine in front of a sorority. My drive home via Dickson was a pleasant way to spend a part of my evening.
How do you like to enjoy a fine spring evening?
No comments:
Post a Comment