The Birthday Girl: “I’m just learning to have fun!”
One of my dearest friends is a very serious, organized woman, but she’s trying to reform! Rosa ’s doing her best to learn to have fun, be spontaneous, and enjoy a season of rest now and then. Since this is her birthday month, we had good cause to practice these new skills. In a brief e-mail exchange we set up lunch for today. Our choices were Hugo’s and Bliss, both just off the Fayetteville square.
Hugo’s is a Fayetteville institution since 1977. Located in a basement with bohemian charm, they serve award-winning burgers and an eclectic American menu. We arrived at 11:15 and the restaurant was already beginning to fill. By the time we left three-quarters of an hour later folks were waiting in line for a table. The beautiful spring-like day had many prospective diners standing on the sidewalk outside. Rosa had the Black and Blue Chicken Sandwich. She said it was a perfect blend of spicy chicken and cool blue cheese. I had a fragrant Quiche Lorain, one of the specialty items on the menu. It had been a long time since I last eat at Hugo’s, I’ll make a point not to wait so long for my next visit.
A short walk up the street and around the corner took us to Bliss Cupcake Cafe, Fayetteville ’s only gourmet cupcake shop. Opening last November, this unique pastry shop brings a metropolitan trend to Northwest Arkansas . Bliss serves cupcakes and drinks and nothing else – not breakfast or lunch items, just a fabulous array of tasty cupcakes. Their menu changes daily with each week’s selections posted on their website. With such selections as Red Velvet Razorback, Caramelicious, and Cloud Nine there is always something to like in their sleek, modern storefront. We sat at one of the indoor tables (Bliss offers outdoor seating as well) and enjoyed our delicious choices before ending our celebratory lunch.
Rosa and I talked about how many hometown treasures we have in Northwest Arkansas like these two affordable indulgences. Do you have a recommendation for our next outing?
That was such a fun day - thanks! I am mulling over other fun things - it's contagious! Next time - your pick, my treat!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it!
ReplyDelete