Sunset Glowing in the West … That Seals Up All in Rest
I left Fayetteville yesterday evening as the sun began to set. There was a low bank of clouds with just enough breaks in it to ensure a lovely, pastel hued sunset. It glowed brightly over the valley as I reached the Johnson exit and was a lovely pink and rose as I cruised across the prairie that stretches west of Springdale off toward Tontitown. This created a winter landscape worthy of a picture postcard. Fields frosted white with the retreating snow were dotted by the dark shapes of cows. Ponds and pools of melt water reflected the rich pinks of the sunset glow.
The bad weather Sunday led to our little church closing – the preacher who was to speak that day had to drive in from Siloam Springs where they already had a foot of snow by 9 a.m. That meant I enjoyed a rare day when the furtherist from home I got was walking the 100 yards to our gate. It was a good day to enjoy that Sunday mandate and pleasure, a day of rest.
In our fast paced society, it is hard to find a balance between activity and rest. We often get out of sorts when we can’t go as fast as we wish whether on the Interstate, in our work schedule, or to our “play dates.” When something like this spring snowstorm makes us change our regular routine, we get a gentle reminder that taking time off to rest now and then is a blessing.
BTW: I took my title from the Bard, Sonnet 73, more or less.
No comments:
Post a Comment