Racing for the Prize
This Saturday a brand new entry in the national marathon schedule makes its debut. At 8:00 in the morning a large crowd of runners and spectators will gather for the First Annual Bentonville Half Marathon. Some of the proceeds as well as donations will benefit local charities; this year’s recipients will be the Bentonville Schools Foundation and the NWA Food Bank.
I have friends who run in marathons. I admire their determination and the commitment to training it takes to compete. I also admire those big ol’ metals they get when they finish in the allotted time! In fact, I admire all those folks who run the race to the end. It’s a little like finishing any big project or a tough class in school - one of the most important but intangible rewards is proving you have the grit to stay the course. And, just like running in a marathon, the determination to finish the race is one of the characteristics of those who seek the good life.
I you are out early Saturday, stop by the Courthouse square in Bentonville and cheer on the runners.
What other interesting events are going on this weekend? Use the comment section below to clue us in.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment